[announce] NYC*BUG: After Sandy

NYC*BUG Announcements announce at lists.nycbug.org
Sun Nov 4 19:13:21 EST 2012

Greetings.

We hope this email finds you in decent shape after superstorm Sandy.

The NYC*BUG talk@ list and efnet #nycbug were filled with discussions
around the affects, as our data center managed to stay up without
missing a beat at NYI.

We have a few upcoming events and happenings to announce, but first
regarding this week's meeting:

*  Due to the storm, John Baldwin's meeting is following the path of the
Marathon, and will be held next year.  In January 2013, that is.

Since it's short notice, and so many people are scrambling at this
point, we are going to hold the meeting, but we'll keep it an informal
discussion.  talk@ and IRC were filled with storm-related discussion,
and we can pick those topics up in person, and whatever else seems
relevant at the moment.

One topic to discuss would be EuroBSDCon which was held October 21-22 in
Warsaw, if any meeting attendees were there.

*  The delivery of the BeagleBone boards was understandably delayed.
FedEx has them sitting in their facility in East Elmhurst, but we should
have them for the meeting on Wednesday.  Pre-buyers will be notified of
the delievery.  Remember to bring $2 for shipping per board ordered.

This year's holiday meeting has been posted, and it's sure to tickle
anyone not particularly in the holiday mood this year, and looking for a
productive outlet:

*  unHoliday Meeting: Be a Grinch about Your Tech Gripe

For the past several years, our holiday party has been filled with the
notion of giving back to the community: your tips, your hacks, your
thoughts.

So many people have proved selfless and assisted others that we feel
it's time for a change. Let's be honest, we need a time to vent, and
there's no reason the holiday season should be immune.

What are your gripes in technology? What do you hate dealing with at
your job? Is it some high- (or low-) level scripting language? Some
clunky and un-Unix-like application? Dealing with an underdocumented and
buggy non-BSD operating system?

Well, here's your chance to let others know how you feel. Prepare a ten
to twenty minute presentation, with maybe a few slides, and make your
case. Be coherent and to-the-point, and maybe others will jump aboard
with your argument.

Ping admin@ with your idea, and we look forward to having a meeting
which let's us vent out unholiday season gripes.