[NYCBSDCon] Fw: NetBSD stuff at NYC*BSDCon

Isaac (.ike) Levy ike at blackskyresearch.net
Tue Nov 5 13:08:08 EST 2013

On November 5, 2013 01:03:43 PM EST, "Isaac (.ike) Levy"
<ike at blackskyresearch.net> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've been back-forth a bit with Jeff Rizzo of NetBSD, he has a great
> presentation idea, (I'm really into it at least).
>
> Below are:
> - notes for NetBSD comms
> - a *very* basic outline for a talk about NetBSD RELENG
>
> Best,
> .ike

I was thinking of responding to this NetBSD RELENG talk idea with
something like what follows,

Thoughts?

Best,
.ike

--
For inspiration, let me take a moment to describe the theme of
NYC*BSDCON this year, "The BSDs in Production".

Intended Audience (for Speakers):
Along with bringing the BSD community together, this conference aims to
reach out beyond the *BSD community.  We aim to expose the richness,
maturity, clarity, and influential nature of BSD UNIX to a wider
technical audience.  This is not manifest as pandering to 'convert'
Linux users, but instead, to set a tone and example which simply
exposes the greatness of the BSD family of operating systems.  The
expected audience may be comprised of Linux and Solaris veterans, as
well as *BSD people, OS Users and Developers alike.

With that, it's important to keep in mind that your presentation will
be heard by technical people who may never have actually used BSD UNIX,
or at least not recently.

Specific to your talk idea, I believe your talk could have excellent
timing: In a fatty world of "Puppet this" and "Recipie that", and a
world where fast paced, cutting-edge development often treats RELENG
procedures as
a chore which "just happens", I think it's highly relevant to expose
the just how little, and how much, it takes to get the 66 arches of
NetBSD built daily :)

After some informal discussion here, we think that a Release
Engineering presentation like this would be excellent for our audience,
because:
- it shows how the sausage gets made (auditability and accountability)
    - Good for *BSD people!
- it shows a large build process which wasn't invented yesterday
    - Good for exposing new BSD users to 'BSD methodology'
- it shows the realities of what's hard about the problem
    (as well as what's not hard about the problem)
- it exposes the UNIX/base tools necessary to solve the problem
    (which people could ostensibly apply to their other activities with
UNIX systems)

With that, does this kind of approach line up with what you were
thinking about for the talk?