[NYCBSDCon] Con Theme Description, (for prospective speakers)

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Tue Nov 5 17:56:19 EST 2013

Isaac (.ike) Levy:

> On November 5, 2013 02:14:16 PM EST, Okan Demirmen <okan at demirmen.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 1:00 PM, Isaac (.ike) Levy
>> <ike at blackskyresearch.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> While prepping to reach out to some NetBSD folks, I wrote this up-
>>> I'd love
>>> some collective OK on it.  (I'd also love any thoughts/input/direction.)
>>
>> Excellent!  Posted here: http://www.nycbsdcon.org/2014/speakers.html

Ha!  I was forking this thread from the other... but I see others did :)

Comments inline below.

> Slammin.
>
> Rocket-
> .ike
>

>>> ---
>>> A moment to describe the theme of NYC*BSDCON this year, "The BSDs in
>>> Production".
>>>
>>> Intended Audience (for Speakers):
>>> Along with bringing the BSD community together, this conference aims to
>>> reach out beyond the *BSD community.  We aim to expose the richness,
>>> maturity, clarity, and influential nature of BSD UNIX to a wider
>>> technical
>>> audience.  This is not manifest as pandering to 'convert' Linux
>>> users, but
>>> instead, to set a tone and example which simply exposes the greatness
>>> of the
>>> BSD family of operating systems.

I like the tone of that last line, but I would propose changing to:

"This is not a canned advocacy event, but rather a production-centric
snapshot of the utility and relevance of the BSD family of operating
systems."

>>> The expected audience may be comprised of Linux and Solaris veterans, as
>>> well as *BSD people, OS Users and Developers alike.  With that, it's
>>> important to keep in mind that your presentation will be heard by
>>> technical
>>> people who may never have actually used BSD UNIX, or at least not
>>> recently.

..."You presentation should aim to show the unique abilities of BSD
software to 'scratch itches', as relevant to technical merits,
licensing, and so on."

Good stuff Ike.  Really.