[NYCBSDCon] presentations

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at michaelwlucas.com
Wed Nov 20 10:29:19 EST 2013

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 10:00:50AM -0500, Patrick McEvoy wrote:
> I would like to ask all presenters to use the same presentation laptop.
> It would make the transitions between talks go much smoother.
> Last time we lost some momentum dealing with video sync issues. We could
> put together a laptop with multiple slide presentation programs and
> collect the talks from the presenters beforehand. It would make it
> easier to record the slides during presentations and help the con move
> smoothly.
> I would like to talk about this early as to have the presentations run
> as smoothly as possible and to solicit any additional ideas from
> presenters

As a frequent speaker, I'd say:

Ask and offer, don't demand.

I always have my slides in PDF, because I frequently have
issues. Stupid issues nobody else has. (It would probably help if I
knew what I was doing.)

It's not a big deal to tell people that there's a presentation laptop
with X available, and that you'd appreciate it if they could bring a
USB stick. Yes, some people will be copying to USB as the last
presentation finishes.

But if they have a legit reason, let them use their own.

Although I will say: at NYCBSDCon 2010, when my laptop had trouble, I
used someone else's. And the PDF reader automatically advanced slides,
thanks to some overly clever Apple thing that I probably activated
when I waved my hand over the keyboard. Whatever that is... turn it
off before I get there, thank you.

Keep the 5-minute break. If the presentation laptop is there, I have
an extra 4 minutes to finish my slides...

==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas  -  mwlucas at michaelwlucas.com, Twitter @mwlauthor
http://www.MichaelWLucas.com/, http://blather.MichaelWLucas.com/