[NYCBSDCon] presentations

Patrick McEvoy patmcevoy at mac.com
Wed Nov 20 12:46:55 EST 2013

On 11/20/13 10:50 AM, Okan Demirmen wrote:
> On Wed 2013.11.20 at 10:29 -0500, Michael W. Lucas wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 10:00:50AM -0500, Patrick McEvoy wrote:
>>> I would like to ask all presenters to use the same presentation laptop.
>>> It would make the transitions between talks go much smoother.
>>> Last time we lost some momentum dealing with video sync issues. We could
>>> put together a laptop with multiple slide presentation programs and
>>> collect the talks from the presenters beforehand. It would make it
>>> easier to record the slides during presentations and help the con move
>>> smoothly.
>>> I would like to talk about this early as to have the presentations run
>>> as smoothly as possible and to solicit any additional ideas from
>>> presenters
>>

>> As a frequent speaker, I'd say:
>>
>> Ask and offer, don't demand.

Michael, as usual you have crystallized the thought perfectly. In our
community asking never hurts.

>> I always have my slides in PDF, because I frequently have
>> issues. Stupid issues nobody else has. (It would probably help if I
>> knew what I was doing.)
>>
>> It's not a big deal to tell people that there's a presentation laptop
>> with X available, and that you'd appreciate it if they could bring a
>> USB stick. Yes, some people will be copying to USB as the last
>> presentation finishes.
>>
>> But if they have a legit reason, let them use their own.
>
> I agree.  We should be communicating with speakers to get requirements,
> etc, and let them know what we will have available (and why).
>
> Patrick, is there something special on the recording side that needs
> everything to be off one source laptop?

I would like to record the presentation from the machine as a backup
recording to the streamed one. That way should anything go wrong, I will
have a perfectly acceptable video of the presentation and not have to
piece one together. Asking presenters to install software on their
personal machine or to open a machine up so we could VNC in to record
their screen would just be asking too much. Also if we can standardize
the recording / presentation it would cut down the post con work. One
presentation is not much work, but six presentations is another story.

>> Although I will say: at NYCBSDCon 2010, when my laptop had trouble, I
>> used someone else's. And the PDF reader automatically advanced slides,
>> thanks to some overly clever Apple thing that I probably activated
>> when I waved my hand over the keyboard. Whatever that is... turn it
>> off before I get there, thank you.

Can do.