[NYCBSDCon] Independent Hardware Manufacturers

Isaac (.ike) Levy ike at blackskyresearch.net
Wed Sep 18 10:06:08 EDT 2013

On September 18, 2013 10:00:57 AM EDT, Okan Demirmen
<okan at demirmen.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 9:51 AM, Isaac (.ike) Levy
> <ike at blackskyresearch.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> While it's on my mind, I'd like to reach out to Pascal from PCEngines.ch, to
>> see if they'd like to be involved in the Con in some way.  For those who
>> don't know them, they've been enormously supportive in the past- of
>> NYCBSDCon, and BSD UNIX in general.  I see these independent hardware
>> manufacturers as being special and important to the BSD community.  For
>> projects like PFSense, their role is critical, in fact.
>>
>> Without opening us up to BS vendor-driven-conference junk, I would like to
>> open up to them for input, (email below).
>>
>> Does anyone object to me reaching out?
>
> Not at all.  I think your mail does it well too.
>
>> If no objections, does anyone have any direct contacts at Soekris?  I'd
>> really love to see them involved in a similar way.
>
> Not me, but it would be a good idea; if no one else, try Soren himself.

Cool- if the Netgate/BSD Perimiter folks don't have Soekris
connections, I'll go straight there...

> Remember though, we don't have a ton of floor space - we should even
> out hardware vendor vs ISP vs book people vs project corner vs "play
> with xyz here" tables...basically, someone (a volunter here) should
> own "space management" inside Suspenders, or something like that.

I'll happily own "Space Management", as a part of dealing with the venue.

Next week I think I'll go to Suspenders and get the general
dimensions/tables availability mapped out.
(Anyone join me for a drink while I'm at it? :)

But as far as reaching out goes, please everyone feel free to reach out
to vendors/manufacturers- I don't want to bottleneck anything on this
front...

Rocket-
.ike