[NYCBSDCon] Talk idea Kernel netdump project / Contiki Another BSD Licensed OS

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Wed Sep 18 23:49:50 EDT 2013

Brian Callahan:
> I don't mean to be the "bad guy" here, but I lean no on this -
> explanations inline.
>
> On 9/18/2013 10:30 PM, Mark Saad wrote:
>> All
>>    I was talking to Ike and to Toothman, about an idea for a talk. Here
>> is the short synopsis
>>
>> Contiki is a BSD licensed embedded OS that has nothing to do with
>> Free/Net/Open other then the license. I said to Ike and Jim that it may
>> be a good idea to see if we can get someone to talk about why contiki
>> chose the BSD license,  what contiki has to offer the world and show off
>> some of the cool things you can do with it. IE the Apple II port talking
>> to a set of smart street lamps via IPv6 .
>>

> Don't get me wrong - I think it's really neat that there's a system like
> Contiki out there and it looks like they're doing really interesting
> things, but how does that fit into a day that's supposed to be a
> showcase for *BSD? This could be especially disastrous for an embedded
> con - would we really want to spend 5 of the 6 talks about all the
> progress and usefulness of *BSD in the embedded space and then a talk on
> some other system entirely? It would make us seem less confident in
> successfully implementing *BSD in the embedded space (despite the fact
> that Contiki runs on archs we never will).
>
> The way I see it, is if that paragraph was s/contiki/linux/ or
> s/contiki/windows/ - would we even need to have this discussion? I think
> the same applies for contiki - even if it does use a BSD license.
>
> Also, on a separate but not unrelated note, do we want the con to be a
> place to discuss proprietary vs GPL vs BSD (or, at least, why choose
> BSD)? I could be swayed either way on that.
>
>> Why should NYC*BSDCon entertain a talk / presentation about another OS ?
>> Well for starters There was some talk on the FreBSD Hackers mailing list
>> about building a netdump setup for FreeBSD that was akin to the Apple
>> OSX Netdump a/k/a kernel network dumps over the network.  The thread
>> went so far as to say hrumm, we could use the contiki uIP stack to make
>> this happen, yadda yadda yadda.
>>
>> So two talk topics that are sort of related
>>
>> 1. General Presentation on Contini , uIP,  6lopan, RIME
>
> I don't think this talk has a place at the con, for above reasons. We
> will have plenty of topics lined up, no?
>
>> 2. General Talk on Netdump, its use of uIP , etc
>>

> I could be swayed on this, if FreeBSD(/others) got or were working on a
> working implementation. Otherwise I don't see the difference between
> talking about uIP and talking about, say, the FreeDOS stack.
>
>> What do you all think, should this be researched and people contacted ?
>>

> My 2 cents - feel free to tell me that I'm wrong though.

Sorry to bottom post and hide my response below, but I agree with
Brian's argument.

I know this isn't about some debian userland on a FreeBSD kernel, but
BSD licensing and really interesting stuff makes not con material.

If there was a session focused on licenses (one that I would try to
avoid attending ;), projects like this would be interesting...

I'm thinking a vicious panel on "The Decline of GPL: How Lawyers Lost
Their Relevance to Open Source" with this type of stuff, now that would
be fun.

However, keep an eye on the project, MS, and see if it becomes more
relevant.

Besides, if we do a serious embedded event, I would love to have the
MIPS retrobsd.org dev there.  Nothing will unify the BSDs more than
backtracking to BSD 2.11.