[NYCBSDCon] NYCBSDCon: a quick summary

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Tue Feb 11 23:00:11 EST 2014

Michael W. Lucas:
> On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 06:20:34PM -0500, George Rosamond wrote:
>> An upcoming thread, before this list hibernates, is what the 'theme'
>> should be for the next day con. . .
>
> "The BSD Platform"
>
> Considerations for using BSD for:
>
> voip (asterisk/freeswitch)
> web (apache or nginx)
> email
> database
> embedded
>
> Contact a known BSD guru who can speak on each -- for example, you
> should get Mr. Jude to talk about FreeBSD as a heavy lifting web
> server. Choose the speakers you want, then request proposals for
> what's left. Involve Dru in hunting speakers; she knows everybody and
> where they've hidden the bodies. ("What's that thump-thump-thump?"
> "Oh, that's just the bus galumphing over Ms. Lavigne from when she got
> thrown under it, no worries.")
>
> For a final talk, get someone who can give a more generic tale that
> involves BSD. If you knew someone who, say, ran the network for,
> hpypothetically, a salt mine and had all kinds of good horror stories
> about computing in such a ghastly environment, that would be good.

That's an interesting take.. another angle on Justin's idea.  The one
thing I'd say is that it may be a bit too similar to this past con, when
maybe we go in another direction.

The idea that's most enticing to me right now is something like:

"Beyond x86: BSDs on ARM and MIPS"

There's a lot of people to grab for this, including local NYC people:

- Brian C works on Octeon/MIPS for OBSD
- Serge of MIPS who does retrobsd (.org) who'd might be interesting to
invite
- There's the issue to cross- versus native-builds
- Of course Tim Kientzle would be a huge asset with his crochet

And in terms of the audience, lots of people are hacking on RPis and
beyond.  And I notice on the various project mailing lists that more
than just the 'usual suspects' are jumping in, including people from
Linux land.

I'm also guessing that we could pull a decent number of college students.

I strongly think that ending with a more generic presentation ends the
con on a good note.  Someone needs to be able to span the discussions.

> And have an afternoon snack. With caffeine. You bastards.

oh, yes.. . . coffee was there, that wasn't the issue.  It was cookies.
 I thought about it all week before the con, but it was a detail that
got dropped.