[NYCBSDCon] NYCBSDCon: a quick summary

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Tue Feb 11 23:33:30 EST 2014

<snip>

> For reference, as a production server admin, I couldn't give two shits
> about non x86_64 arches. ARM is a toy.

Just to follow up from our parallel IRC discussion, Mr. Allan Jude,
production server admin, is not our target audience.  Besides the fact
he lives in .ca

NYC is very much a Linux scene by a very basic measure: the bellwether
industry, or what's left of it, is finance.  Those are Linux shops on
the whole.  There have been dozens of Linux groups.  The SFLC is based
here.  RMS even had/has his own cult in NYC.

We have impacted the scene in many ways though.  The bad-ass Linux admin
comes to our meetings.  A number of shops have migrated to BSDs due to
our members.

BSD wouldn't even be on the radar for a lot of people, but for over ten
years we've built a consistent reputation of being a well-run group that
hits the topics effectively, and the vast majority of attendees are
using the BSDs in production.

While most UGs in NYC are wrought by civil war and petty bickering, we
have little.   We have managed to hold five cons since 2005, and donated
thousands to the projects.

And if there's one thing that was special about this past Saturday, it's
that we pulled a whole host of newer people around to our conference.
We hope other cons can do that, but we have the advantage of having an
established user group.