some needs

N.J. Thomas njt at ayvali.org
Sun Jan 26 01:20:25 EST 2014

* George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> [2014-01-18 21:24:10-0500]:
> fliers/posters we need... once details set
>
> - Updated version of con flier, with online registration and speaker
> list... easily to blow up to 11x17.  These would be great to have on
> campuses in CS departments, etc.

hi George,

I don't know whether or not you are still accepting submissions for
this. Here's mine:

    http://ayvali.org/misc/nycbsdcon/

Some notes:

    - I tried to stay as faithful as possible to Ike's original version:
      (http://blackskyresearch.net/misc/nycbsdcon2014/), but I couldn't
      reproduce the logo exactly.

    - I used the Brooklyn Bridge background because it connotes NYC, is
      iconic, and fits visually into the portrait mode poster (also
      avoids phallic symbolism, cf. the t-shirt thread).

    - I purchased the background from a stock photo site (123rf.com,
      image id: 8793125, Copyright Jeremy Reddington); the standard
      license allows for online advertising and promotional materials as
      well as printed offline advertising and promotional materials.

    - I have web and print versions, the print version is for a 11"x17"
      at 300dpi and uses the standard printer's 1/8" bleed and 1/8"
      trim.

    - I used the spellings of the speakers from the website.

    - For each speaker, I simply put the short-form of the organization
      they are associated with, e.g. "Scott Long - Netflix", "Jeff Rizzo
      - OpenBSD" -- I'm not sure if you want to keep it like this or
      not.

    - For Michael W. Lucas, I put "Absolute BSD", because that's how I
      best know him, but I'm not sure if that does him justice: he's a
      pretty prolific writer and I'm not sure how to describe him
      succinctly.

    - I'm entirely unsatisfied with the fonts, I used whatever was in
      ports and came with GIMP (DejaVu/Bitstream Vera). To fix this
      would take some doing, so I left it alone for now.

Please let me know if you would like me to make corrections/changes.

hth,
Thomas