[Semibug] first real message

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at michaelwlucas.com
Wed Nov 4 19:12:43 EST 2015

Hi there! Welcome.

We have a dozen people on the list now, so I guess I'll get this ball
rolling. Let's talk place, timing, and topics.

1) Before we can have a real user group, we need a place to meet.

I'm very open to suggestions. Nick and I live over next to Lake St
Clair, though, and we'd really rather not drive to Novi every month. A
place somewhere vaguely near the I-75 and I-696 intersection would be
ideal.

I'm told that many restaurants and bars have space for meetings. Many
public libraries do as well. I can get a room here at the Grosse
Pointe Public Library, but that's a little far east for most
people. Nick and I would be fine, though.

A consistent meeting day and place is key to a successful user
group. If people know when and where the group will meet, they're more
likely to show up even if they miss a couple months.

Josh Grosse (not on the list yet, so I've cc'd him) has volunteered to
take point on investigating restaurants & bars for suitability. But
there's lots of places out there, and room for lots of people to pitch
in.

Or suggest places you already know of.

Ideas?

2) Once we have place, there's time. I'm assuming that Friday-Monday
is less than desirable. I'm inclined to Tuesday, Wednesday, or
Thursday night, after work. Other thoughts?

3) Finally: try to keep this on-topic. Specifically, try not to talk
about (electoral) politics or religion. These two topics have
destroyed more than one online group I've been in. I feel obliged to
state my biases up front, so: I'll use my unfair advantage as mailing
list admin to squash such discussions before they turn bloody.

==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas  -  mwlucas at michaelwlucas.com, Twitter @mwlauthor
http://www.MichaelWLucas.com/, http://blather.MichaelWLucas.com/