[Semibug] topics for next year

Andrew Ruscica andrew at ruscica.com
Thu Oct 24 11:14:28 EDT 2019

Hi Everyone,

Piping in here after lurking for a number of years.  I came out from Canada
to some of the earliest meetings.
Part 1 is in production at multiple sites. But what makes it more
interesting is combining with some things that I'd like to do in Part 2. It
might form the basis for a talk some time next year.

Part 1:

At a site,
- a FreeBSD or OpenBSD based system running Samba4 Active Directory
- a pfSense gateway

Part 2:

At a remote/hosted site:
- A FreeBSD iocage/jail dedicated to the site, running another Samba4
instance
- pfSense providing a vpn between the two sites

The concept here is to provide a non-proprietary alternative to not just
on-premises Windows domain controllers, but services like Azure active
directory which supposedly let you back up/distribute it.
'Open source' Active Directory also seems pretty useful in a non-Microsoft
way.  In my eat-your-own-dogfood environment at my office, Samba4 on
OpenBSD is authenticating users on workstations running OpenSuse Linux.

Andrew