[Semibug] Why is Groff not used anymore?
jondrews at fastmail.com
Sun Aug 22 00:07:00 EDT 2021
Well I got some of my answers by reading the Groff manual:
Although WYSIWYG systems may be easier to use, they have a number
of disadvantages compared to troff:
• They must be used on a graphics display to work on a document.
• Most of the WYSIWYG systems are either non-free or are not very
• troff is firmly entrenched in all Unix systems.
• It is difficult to have a wide range of capabilities within the confines of
a GUI/window system.
• It is more difficult to make global changes to a document.
“GUIs normally make it simple to accomplish simple actions
and impossible to accomplish complex actions.” –Doug Gwyn
(22/Jun/91 in comp.unix.wizards)
On Sat, Aug 21, 2021, at 21:25, Jonathan Drews wrote:
> Isn't it easier to compose the content in your favorite editor (EMACS, Vi, etc.)
> and then do the formatting for printing afterward? Last week a person at HAM-Bug
> demonstrated how to make tables with EMACS. It worked like a charm. It seems,
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Semibug