[Semibug] Dump on FreeBSD ZFS file system

Jonathan Drews jondrews at fastmail.com
Wed Sep 22 16:42:38 EDT 2021

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 11:13:17AM -0400, Mike Wayne wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 05:22:43PM -0600, Jonathan Drews wrote:
>
> Nope. For some (IMO insane) reason, the devs of dump decided not to
> support the most proven backup system I've been using for 45 years.
>
> I don't understand the decision but attempting to get it corrected is
> hopeless.

I tried using Luckybackup, which is a frontend to rsync. It doesn't
work all that well.

> Use tar. It's not as flexible but it's your only option.

tar is not all that convienient I guess the best way is just copy over
the whole /home directory once every couple of days.

> Note that you can still make UFS filesystems.

GhostBSD comes withe the ZFS file system. I think I had a choice of
UFS but it required manually configuration. I know how to do it in
OpenBSD but not in FreeBSD.

--
Kind regards,
Jonathan