[Semibug] SystemD is literally the kitchen sink of Linux ; Linux starting to feel more and more alien as the years go on

Jonathan Drews jondrews at fastmail.com
Wed Dec 6 17:47:39 EST 2023

On Wed, Dec 06, 2023 at 03:59:51PM -0600, Kyle Willett wrote:
> https://www.phoronix.com/news/systemd-255
>
> Read this article on a slow day at work and yes I realize there are
> distros other than RHEL like Gentoo that use OpenRC, but work uses
> RHEL.

I perused it. The motto of the modern Linux distrubutions should be"

     "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing"

I have Kubuntu here. As nice as Kde is the dual Packaging system
causes problems. I am speaking of SNAP.

> I started using OpenBSD in 2019 and while it sees incredible changes;
> the way the user interacts with the system is largely unchanged.
>
> Now to quote the article: "Most internal process tracking is now using
> PIDFDs rather than PIDs when running on a supported kernel."  What the
> heck is a PIDFD instead of a PID.

I have no idea what a PIDFD is nor do I care for the artificial
compexity of modern Linux distros.

> Since Microsoft and Red Hat and other big companies have gotten so
> heavily invested in Linux development it has lost its heart and soul.

This is true.

> Don't get me wrong this isn't a completely bash on Linux post, it
> still excels in some areas compared to any BSD, namely gaming thanks
> to Valve's Proton, and is FLOSS Software so better than windows
> 10/11/12.

Devuan is a decent distro. It is very stable. Steve Litt knows a lot
about Devuan.

> Use the tool that is best for the job they say.  I think that Linux is
> increasingly an OS that I don't have a task for the tool because the
> head is a multitool with all of these attachments to create a mental
> image.  Sometimes you just need a screwdriver or socket wrench and the
> *BSDs serve a great job for that.  A purpose built tool is always
> better than a multitool.

Kyke that is a good point. Everyone should read Ted Unangst's
"Features are Faults"

https://flak.tedunangst.com/post/features-are-faults

> Not that Windows is any better than Linux.
> Poor people who don't want to upgrade working processors to get a TPM
> chip in their processors and keep using Windows 10 are being forced in
> the new year to buy paid security patching for Windows 10

That is here in the United States. I think the rest of the world is
moving away from American big tech (Microsoft, Apple, IDB, etc) and
using their own versions of Linux.  I spoke with people on Vk and they
say all the new computers in Russia come with Linux. Evidently
Microsoft withdrew support at the beginning of the war with Ukraine.

> Thank God and the developers we have OpenBSD and FreeBSD and NetBSD
> and DragonflyBSD!
>
> Hope this didn't offend anyone, my apologies if it did.

This was spot on.