[Semibug] OpenBSD vulnerable to Meltdown & Spectre?

BCLUG admin at bclug.ca
Wed Jun 7 16:58:31 EDT 2023

Jonathan Drews wrote on 2023-06-07 13:48:

> What I am asking here is that in order for Spectre and Meltdown to
> work they have to deliver a malicious  payload. That payload is
> inside a Tcp/Ip packet.

> Is this a correct assessment?

I don't think it's entirely correct.

The type of vulnerability under discussion isn't a nasty packet, it's a
software routine that is finely tuned to take advantage of hardware
characteristics of specific CPU / RAM combinations.

I really don't think it's something that can be dealt with at the firewall.

Unless my memory & understanding is all wrong (a distinct possibility).

This is one class of vulnerability that I spent zero time being
concerned about.

*If* someone could get this type of exploit to execute on my machine,
*maybe* at best they could derive a password from RAM.

That wouldn't get them a user nor a host which they could use the
password successfully.

Are there any reports of wide-spread attempts with these?

Any reports of successful, non-targeted, non-theoretical exploits?

rb