[Semibug] [BCLUG] GoLUG: Ten Lesser Known HTML Elements You Might Find Handy, 9/6/2023

BCLUG admin at bclug.ca
Sun Sep 3 19:51:53 EDT 2023

Steve Litt wrote on 2023-09-03 11:51:

> On Wednesday, 9/6/2023, at 7:00 PM Eastern Daylight time, GoLUG's
> monthly online meeting features ten lesser known HTML elements you
> might find handy.

I'm looking forward to this, hope I can make it.

Will there be mention of "responsive design" (using CSS media queries)?

They're a lovely way to get a 3-column page to collapse to 2 columns,
then 1 column as the window size shrinks.  Using minimal code, usually a
redefinition of a grid-template-columns, grid-area layout, or a
flex-direction.

i.e.:

 > @media( max-width: 600px)
 >  {
 >  flex-direction: column;
 >  }

Also, a really exciting new CSS is the :has() pseudo element.

"Apply this style (i.e. red text) to all <div> that contain an image":

 > div:has(img) {color: red;}

It kinda reverses the cascading direction of Cascading Style Sheets,
saying to look *backwards* at an img tag for a div tag, then do ...
something.

The new HTML modal looks interesting too.  So much is changing in this
space, it's hard to keep up.

Looking forward to your presentation.

rb