[nycbug-talk] New to BSD (dont know which one to get)

Scott Robbins scottro
Sun Apr 4 15:19:53 EDT 2004

On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 03:10:01PM -0400, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > NetBSD.  "Of course it runs NetBSD".  Widest variety of supported
> > platforms. If you have some obscure hardware, it might be the best fit.
>
> I'd like to dispute the old myth or what might lead to the notion of
> NetBSD only being suitable for ``obscure hardware''.  Many people seem
> to say ``Well, you should use NetBSD only if you have to, if you have
> i386 you should use FreeBSD''.  Similarly, there's the notion of
> ``OpenBSD is secure, so if you want security, use OpenBSD''.

Heh, sorry if it sounded as if I were putting down NetBSD.  I like it
very much, and have often used it as desktop.  I tend, these days, to
stick a bit more with FreeBSD because I'm so used to it.

I like NetBSD enough so that I put up a page for myself and a few
friends about NetBSD for the FreeBSD user at

http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/netbsd.html

I'm not a programmer, but I am told by one programming friend that
NetBSD has cleaner code.  (I have no idea if that's true or not though.)

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: You're a vampire. Oh, I'm sorry. Was that an offensive
term? Should I say undead American?