[nycbug-talk] FW: Max OS X and BSD

Isaac Levy ike
Sun Apr 11 04:22:03 EDT 2004

Rockin' answer Trish,

Thouht I'd throw in a -v flag to this thread:

On Apr 10, 2004, at 12:05 PM, Trish Lynch wrote:

> so the answer is "Yes, it is a BSD relative, and shares a lot with
> FreeBSD"

At the last meeting, the presenting Apple engineer showed this amazing
chart, which clearly plots the family history of *NIX, including
MacOSX:
http://www.levenez.com/unix/

> and "Yes it is the next generation of NeXTStep, and shares a lot
> of the same technology and code."

At the end of the following FAQ from apple:
http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/darwin/faq.html

It states some interesting tid-bits about why Apple works with the
*BSD's, and I thought i'd paste it below for posterity.

Rocket-
.ike

--snip--
Darwin and BSD

Q. Why is Darwin based on BSD UNIX?

A. There are several reasons for this. The first one is  historical.
Mac OS X draws a lot of its code base from a system  called OPENSTEP,
created by NeXT Software, which Apple bought in  1997. OPENSTEP and its
predecessor, NEXTSTEP, were based on 4.3  BSD. BSD has always had a
rich academic developer community behind  it, and while much of the
original BSD UNIX was not free, its  source code was available to
anyone who obtained a license for  it. The wide development community
that arose to support BSD contributed to many of the ideas that drive
today's open source  community. That community also facilitated a great
deal of  research, including work to put BSD on Mach at Carnegie Mellon
  University-code that eventually found its way to NeXT and now to
Apple.

Second, BSD is widely respected as clean, robust, and  maintainable
code. There remains a strong developer community that  knows the code
base very well and continues the work started at UC  Berkeley. In
addition, the BSD license is very open, which has made  it easy for us
to leverage its compelling core technology to  enhance the Mac OS.

Best of all, as a result of making this choice, Apple is now an  active
participant in the BSD community. This allows us to make  sure that the
capabilities important to Mac users are added to  BSD. Being part of
the BSD community also gives us access to excellent peer review and
keeps us on a path to adopt and  contribute to open standards, the
benefits of which are well known  to our developers. The BSD community
has been extremely supportive  of Apple since we first approached
NetBSD, FreeBSD, and others  about doing a better job of sharing code.
That happened even before  we announced Darwin. Now we're pleased to
have become an even more  active participant in the community.

Q. Where does Darwin fit into the BSD family?

A. The purpose of Darwin is to provide the core system software  for
Mac OS X. It is not designed to be an alternative to  other excellent
BSD options such as FreeBSD, NetBSD, and  OpenBSD. Darwin is simply BSD
tweaked in ways we think will help  Apple deliver the next great
version of the Mac OS. We should note,  however, that apart from a few
architectural differences (such as  our use of the Mach kernel), we try
to keep Darwin as compatible as  possible with FreeBSD (our BSD
reference platform).

Q. Does Darwin offer any benefits to someone who's already  using
another version of BSD?

A. Yes, it does. Darwin drives Mac OS X, which we consider a
compelling new operating system not only for existing Macintosh
customers, but also for the BSD community and other UNIX  users. Darwin
is a great example of BSD running on the PowerPC  platform. It offers a
well-defined code base from a major computer manufacturer, as well as a
really cool graphical user interface  (Mac OS X).

Q. Why did Apple decide to share all of its modifications  with the BSD
community?

A. Although the BSD licenses don't require companies to post  their
sources, divergent code bases are very hard to maintain. We  believe
that the open source model is the most effective form of  development
for certain types of software. By pooling our expertise  with the open
source development community, we expect to improve  the quality,
performance, and feature set of our software. In  addition, we realize
that many developers enjoy working with open  source software, and we
want to give them the opportunity to use  that kind of environment
while they're creating solutions for Apple customers.

Although many people think that the rather simple BSD license  does
little to protect the openness of the code, it has contributed
significantly to Apple's ability to adapt the code for the benefit  of
Mac users. Its emphasis on sharing code has also heightened our  own
commitment to the open development process.
--snip--