[nycbug-talk] ports [was re: BSD on a desktop]

Pete Wright pete
Sun Aug 1 11:58:38 EDT 2004

Okan Demirmen wrote:

>anyway, i'm not here to start a war or anything, but i just want to
>point that out on openbsd. now, it's been a while for me on netbsd, so
>i'm sure someone will clarify for us what netbsd does...i'm sure it's
>close or similar to openbsd's build infrastructure.

yea that is YANTAO (yet another nice thing about Obsd ;).  You can
achieve similar results, if you are a member of the group wheel, by
allowing wheel to write to the ports tree.  i don't have the ports tree
installed on any of my OpenBSD machines right now, how do they handle
the download and extracting of source code?

Also, I thought NetBSD used pkgsrc tho, while OpenBSD uses a FreeBSD
ports.  man 7 ports(OpenBSD):
" The OpenBSD Ports Collection (shamelessly stolen from the FreeBSD Ports
     Collection) offers a simple way for users and administrators to install
     applications."

-p

--
~~~oO00Oo~~~