[nycbug-talk] Re: Women in Open Source (fwd)

Pete Wright pete
Mon Aug 2 22:24:32 EDT 2004

Dru wrote:

> A few months ago, I was asked to partake in an email survey, the
> results of which are to be officially published tomorrow (and later in
> a print magazine) at:
>
> http://pyre.third-bit.com/wios/
>
> My final feedback to the surveyor (and their response) follows.
> Personally, I
> find the results alarming and am interested in hearing the perspective
> from
> the group.
>
> While it won't come out in the article, it did bring up another slant
> that should be pursued (though I don't know how yet...) The uninformed
> perception
> re: open source and geekdom seems to be unfairly tainted by slashdot
> moronics
> and programmer tantrums. I've found the perception of BSD to be far more
> mature. Sounds like some sort of opportunity here.
>
> Comments?

Dru, I think your comments are spot on.  I found this line interesting:

"...it is ironic to compare the rush to clone Microsoft's .NET to the
indifference with which FLOSS developers have greeted Apple's UI."

I think this is right after your correction about linux/osx.  If they
are refering to the MONO project, it would seem to be a non-sequator.  i
hope it's just another mistake and not flame bait.

so dru, do you think from your experience that most FLOSS projects are
just boy's clubs...or what?

-p

--
~~~oO00Oo~~~