[nycbug-talk] ports [was re: BSD on a desktop]

Pete Wright pete
Tue Aug 3 00:20:24 EDT 2004

Okan Demirmen wrote:

>On Sun 2004.08.01 at 10:58 -0500, Pete Wright wrote:
>

>>i don't have the ports tree
>>installed on any of my OpenBSD machines right now, how do they handle
>>the download and extracting of source code?
>>

>not sure exactly what the question is, but the infrastructure grabs the
>source from MASTER_SITES, checks distinfo (md5/rmd160/sha1), then
>extracts into the workdir - just like the other porting systems....it
>is just that openbsd does this as a normal user, as does pkgsrc.
>
>not sure if i answered the question i didn't get ;)

cool, so it all seems pretty similar.  just wanted to make sure i wasn't
missing some obvious.  thanks!

>>Also, I thought NetBSD used pkgsrc tho, while OpenBSD uses a FreeBSD
>>ports.  man 7 ports(OpenBSD):
>>" The OpenBSD Ports Collection (shamelessly stolen from the FreeBSD Ports
>>    Collection) offers a simple way for users and administrators to install
>>    applications."
>>

>true, initially, but it has changed quite a bit since then...

yea no doubt.  fortunately it does not seem too hard for admins to
modify FreeBSD to be closer the behavior you pointed out...which is
probably one of those good things ;^)

-p

--
~~~oO00Oo~~~