[nycbug-talk] Re: Women in Open Source (fwd)

Marc Spitzer mspitze1
Mon Aug 2 23:30:05 EDT 2004

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 22:50:21 -0500
Pete Wright <pete at nomadlogic.org> wrote:

> Marc Spitzer wrote:
>
> >One of my opinions on BSD vs Linux mindset is as follows:
> >
> >BSD is old school, aka MIT AI koans.  Where the student is trying to
> >impress the *Professor*.  So the reward, recognition, comes from
> >thinking about hard problems and then implementing the solution.  The
> >
> >fact that you wrote lots of code is besides the point, its a given.
> >
> >Linux is new school.  The students are trying to impress the other
> >students. And these people are not yet wise enough to realize that
> >coding is all things considered the easy bit.  This leads to the
> >fascination with reimplementing the designs of others, instead of
> >writing 1/5 the code and spending 10X the effort to do something NEW.
> >

> yea i'm not too sure about that.  there are alot of gnu/linux
> developers that have been around for a *long* time.  Maybe the user
> base has that feeling about that, or even the /. crowd, but I would
> not say that that is a fair picture to paint of the core devs on the
> kernel team, or even alot of the people that work with linux in
> different ways (Jim Gettys who helped create the X windows system at
> MIT for example, or even Keith Packard, Donal Becker).  look i'm
> trying to flame here, i just think we should keep things in
> perspective...

Well I was talking about the general feel of the community from my
experience and POV.  Real heavy lifter, in BSD or Linux, are a small
minority of the people involved, even of the coders involved.  And I
was not talking about them.  I was talking about the 31337 11nuX Hax0r
that I have seen about so much vs the equivalent BSD user who just wants

it to work so he/she can get on with their day.

marc