[nycbug-talk] Re: Women in Open Source (fwd)

Trish Lynch trish
Wed Aug 4 10:58:24 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Pete Wright wrote:

> yea i'm not too sure about that.  there are alot of gnu/linux developers
> that have been around for a *long* time.  Maybe the user base has that
> feeling about that, or even the /. crowd, but I would not say that that
> is a fair picture to paint of the core devs on the kernel team, or even
> alot of the people that work with linux in different ways (Jim Gettys
> who helped create the X windows system at MIT for example, or even Keith
> Packard, Donal Becker).  look i'm trying to flame here, i just think we
> should keep things in perspective...

Yeah, I used to work with Ted T'so at VA Linux, well he worked out of his
house, but we used to get together fairly regularly for dinner, and always
had a great time. It was always interesting how much he felt Linux should
"steal" from BSD because it was innovative, new, or just plain "made
sense".

He actually wrote a BSD file style config file for his machines that
essentially then ran a script and converted it into a format of the
".config" file in the kernel source directory, because he figured the BSD
style of configuration of a kernel made more sense.

-Trish

Trish Lynch					   trish at bsdunix.net
Ecartis Core Team 			      trish at listmistress.org
EFNet IRC Operator/SysAdmin @ irc.dkom.at             AilleCat at EFNet
Key fingerprint = 781D 2B47 AA4B FC88 B919  0CD6 26B2 1D62 6FC1 FF16