[nycbug-talk] Tomcat + JDK 1.4 on FreeBSD

Trish Lynch trish
Thu Aug 5 21:13:02 EDT 2004

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Fred McCann wrote:

> I would like to run tomcat in production on FreeBSD and I'm currently
> trying to weigh that vs. running it on some distribution of linux. Is
> anyone on the list currently using java on FreeBSD? If so what are you
> seeing for performance and how are you running java? Is it one of the
> linux 1.4 jdks running in linux compatibility mode? Is anyone running
> the native BSD port?
>
> I tried installing the native port last night, but I couldn't get it to
> take. It was requesting the linux jdk from sun:
>
> j2sdk-1_4_2_04-linux-i586.bin
>
> Unfortunately the only version I could find on the sun site is:
>
> j2sdk-1_4_2_05-linux-i586.bin
>
> Which stopped me dead (until I figure away around it).
>
> - Fred

Right now, believe it or not, we're running some major stuff under the
native FreeBSD port of jdk 1.4 and tomcat....

it works really well.

just takes forever to build but once you build, you can make a package.

-Trish

Trish Lynch					   trish at bsdunix.net
Ecartis Core Team 			      trish at listmistress.org
EFNet IRC Operator/SysAdmin @ irc.dkom.at             AilleCat at EFNet
Key fingerprint = 781D 2B47 AA4B FC88 B919  0CD6 26B2 1D62 6FC1 FF16