[nycbug-talk] Future Meeting: AMP on BSD

Hans Zaunere hans
Thu Aug 5 22:42:44 EDT 2004

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'll be giving a presentation on AMP (Apache/MySQL/PHP) running
under
> > BSD on Sept. 1st.  I wanted to ping this list to get some feedback
about
> > what general topics I should cover.
> >
> > Installation and configuring?  From source?  From ports?
> >
> > Security?
> >
> > Writing a simple application?  Installing pre-written applications?
> >
> > What do people want to learn about... any feedback would be
appreciated.

> some definitive alternative to mail().  everytime I use, or attempt to
use
> mail(), all the real PHPers jump on my back and rabidly tell me to use
some
> other X, Y, and Z function on the web to replace mail().  Its
annoying.

Well, not to turn this into a PHP list (there is http://nyphp.org/lists
where all these questions are welcome and a RTFM is a rare thing) mail()
isn't a bad thing.  It can bite you if you are sending large volumes of
mail out (like thousands a minute) but other than that, it's fine.

> (though PHP's mail() has some compatibility issues with postfix, but
its
> largely a postfix issue due to improper documentation, and the postfix
> author's distaste of a particular sendmail feature (he thinks its
broken))

Yeah, some of the flags might be an issue with postfix, but I don't
recall anything specific off the top (and I use mail() with postfix
everyday).

---
Hans Zaunere
President