[nycbug-talk] OpenBSD quick install from FreeBSD perspective?

George Georgalis george
Wed Aug 11 20:32:14 EDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 08:23:04PM -0400, Isaac Levy wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I had a quick question re. OpenBSD installs, coming from a long love of
>FreeBSD:
>
>Basiclly, say I've got my OpenBSD install tweaked and all set to
>install (and re-install on hardware in the event of something
>catastrophic), but I want to come up with some way to pre-format the
>partitions on a clean wipe of a machine.
>
>This may sound like a dumb question, but I was thinking about it from
>the perspective of the FreeBSD installer, which gives fine
>auto-defaults for partition sizes, and the install is nearly
>muscle-memory at this point...

I'm not sure what you're talking about.... it's been a year + since
I tried the FreeBSD installer; but OpenBSD installer offers complete
flexibility in setting/formatting the slices and partitions. If you
mean automated to your settings, I would guess that is just a matter
of cracking open the installer script and changing to execute your
commands, but this is beyond my personal BSD experience.

Actually programming that is secondary (for me) to the PXE network boot
question, in my post a little while ago.

// George

--
George Georgalis, Architect and administrator, Linux services. IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/  cell:646-331-2027  mailto:george at galis.org
Key fingerprint = 5415 2738 61CF 6AE1 E9A7  9EF0 0186 503B 9831 1631