[nycbug-talk] pkg_add and precompiled repositories

George Georgalis george
Fri Aug 13 15:40:38 EDT 2004

I was looking at my 2Gb mirror of OpenBSD/packages/i386/ and the pkg_add
man and wondering about a better way.

Apparently you can specify a URL with the pkg_add command or use the
environmental PKG_PATH to specify local directories (delimited by
double colon) to search for the package, but is there no convention to
specify a URL as a repository???

I'd assume not put (and maintain) 2GB per host for the luxury of
convenient package installs; NFS is an (undesired) option, but wouldn't
it be much simpler to maintain one local repository and set a URL in
PKG_PATH to ftp that box?

I've not looked at DFly docs for this process, but I'll need a solution
there too.

// George

--
George Georgalis, Architect and administrator, Linux services. IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/  cell:646-331-2027  mailto:george at galis.org
Key fingerprint = 5415 2738 61CF 6AE1 E9A7  9EF0 0186 503B 9831 1631