[nycbug-talk] Re:FreeBSD Newbie

Jesse Callaway jesse
Fri Aug 20 19:43:39 EDT 2004

On Aug 20, 2004, at 2:21 PM, freebsd wrote:

>> On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, freebsd wrote:
>>
>>> I got it connected. It seems that when I hit reply the email address
>>> is
>>> the address of whoever replied to me from the talk at lists.nycbug.org
>>> list. Is it the preferred method on this list to just reply to the
>>> people that reply to you directly, or is it preferred to reply to the
>>> address talk at lists.nycbug.org so that everyone can follow the
>>> thread? I
>>> know no one needs extra email in thier inbox, but sometimes everyone
>>> can
>>> benefit from the thread. If there is a moderator here maybe they
>>> could
>>> answer as I don't want to flood everyone with every response.
>>
>> Use, reply-to-all.  That'll work.
>>
>>> Anyway, I got the nic working, I can ping everything by IP or domain
>>> name, I can telnet into the machine, but I can't log in as root, is
>>> that
>>> a security feature of freebsd? Is there a graphic interface to look
>>> at
>>> all user accounts on the machine and adjust permissions?
>>
>> Telnet in.  Then su to become root.
>>
>>> Also in the docs I see commands such as route(8), does that mean you
>>> have to have a security level of 8 to use the command? Thanks,
>>
>> The 8 means section 8 of the manual.  Issue this command: man man
>>
>> --
>> Dan Langille - http://www.langille.org/
>
> I tryed typing su and I just got su: Sorry, SU gives me SU: not found.
>
> Was it a joke?
>
> Jerry

Check your path. The su program is actually in a folder, like
/usr/bin/su. Just like DOS you can either type /usr/bin/su to run the
program or change your environment variables so that the PATH variable
looks into a bunch of different places where your binaries usually are.

you can check all of your env variables with (like DOS again)
 > set

set can also assign a value to a variable

or glean the value of just one of them
 > echo $PATH

the dollar sign lets the shell know that this is a special word and to
interpret its value. it's like the percent sign in DOS

While it's no trivial matter to roll back versions, it is trivial to
turn on compatibility with the older FreeBSD. Since you are purchasing
a product it would be best to just do whatever the hell they say in
their install manual. 4.1 seems a little drastic, though. Sure it's
wasn't 4.10?

jesse