[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD ISO's

george at galis.org george
Tue Aug 24 11:26:43 EDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 10:47:18AM -0400, freebsd wrote:

>I was thinking, I am getting "Write failures" not "read failures"
>so does that mean anything? I would think its more a hard drive
>problem. Another symptom is that when it is copying from the cd it
>slows down to like 3kbps from like 1700kbps, then it fails. This also
>only happens when I try to do a full install with all the options. If
>I do a minimal install its ok, but I do get that "signal 11" message,
>but then the machine boots ok and I can log in and get on the net and
>eveything.

not sure about freeBSD, but you might can use ctrl-f2 (or 3,4,5,6...)
durring the install to see a logging console and determine exactly what
device the error is coming from. a remote guess: if "Write failures"
only happen when you do 'full install' that would suggest HD faliure
(when getting to that part of the drive), as would the slowdown if it is
resetting/retrying the disk when it errors. :-\ Try the 'badblocks -w -v
-v' program from some OS on a cdrom distro...

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org