[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD ISO's

freebsd freebsd
Tue Aug 24 12:45:25 EDT 2004

From: george at galis.org
Date:  Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:26:43 -0400

>On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 10:47:18AM -0400, freebsd wrote:
>>
>>I was thinking, I am getting "Write failures" not "read failures"
>>so does that mean anything? I would think its more a hard drive
>>problem. Another symptom is that when it is copying from the cd it
>>slows down to like 3kbps from like 1700kbps, then it fails. This also
>>only happens when I try to do a full install with all the options. If
>>I do a minimal install its ok, but I do get that "signal 11" message,
>>but then the machine boots ok and I can log in and get on the net and
>>eveything.
>
>not sure about freeBSD, but you might can use ctrl-f2 (or 3,4,5,6...)
>durring the install to see a logging console and determine exactly what
>device the error is coming from. a remote guess: if "Write failures"
>only happen when you do 'full install' that would suggest HD faliure
>(when getting to that part of the drive), as would the slowdown if it is
>resetting/retrying the disk when it errors. :-\ Try the 'badblocks -w -v
>-v' program from some OS on a cdrom distro...
>
>// George
>

>--
>George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
>http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org
>% Be sure to check out our Jobs and NYCBUG-announce lists
>% We meet the first Wednesday of the month

I just got email from rackmount.com and they said they tested the install of 4.1 and it was flawless. They said a signal 11 was most likely a bad piece of hardware and that they are shipping me a new unit with 4.1 installed and that I have 14 days to send back the first unit to avoid being charged for a second machine. So whoever said signal 11 was a hardware issue was right on (as I assumed they were).

Rackmount.com has been a pleasure to deal with from initial sale all the way through this issue, I can't say enough about how fast their customer service responds.

Also having this list to bounce these newbie questions off of has been a great help and I want to send a big thanks out for all the answers and tips I have gotten so far. THANKS ALL!

I am going to try the tips above anyway so I can get a feel for the debug process on install, I had no idea that you could hit ctrl alt whatever to see these messages, and as I am sure they are documented I just don't have time to read the entire text to find these tricks and am not a real text book type of person, everything I know about computers has been learned from hacking around for 15 years and this type of list makes it alot easier to hack around.

Jerry

Sent via the WebMail system at slikstik.com