[nycbug-talk] OpenBSD - Serial Port Configuration

Kliment Andreev klimenta
Tue Aug 24 21:04:51 EDT 2004

Hi,

I have an old laptop with OpenBSD installed. Recently, I hooked an
external modem USR56K but I am having a problem to configure it.
Here is my output:

thinkpad# dmesg | grep ast0
ast0 at isa0 port 0x1a0/32 irq 5
pccom3 at ast0 slave 0: ns8250, no fifo
pccom4 at ast0 slave 1: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
com at ast0 slave 2 not configured
com at ast0 slave 3 not configured

I assume that pccom4 is the internal modem. There is no way to disable
it thru BIOS. It seems that my external one is not recognized.
If I do # cu -l /dev/cua0X (x=01,2,) I got Device not configured, link
down message.
But if I # cu -l /dev/cua03 then I got Connected message. There is no
echo, and no response if I type ATDT2012012212 so I assume that this is
the internal WinModem. My question is what's the difference between
"com" and "pccom" and how can I configure those slave2 and 3 that are
not configured.

Thanx...