[nycbug-talk] null modem vendor...

George Georgalis george
Thu Aug 26 21:45:15 EDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 05:14:48PM -0400, alex at pilosoft.com wrote:
>On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, George Georgalis wrote:
>
>> I've not done much with serial connections (other than scripting
>> persistent 56k modem dialog).
>>
>> Now I'd like to try accessing BSD via serial cable, I understand I need
>> a null modem cable but my favorite vendor shentech.com doesn't have
>> them, only the big/little male/female type.
>You can take one of those and use a straight cable.

Huh? first I thought "null-modem" meant the same thing as cat-5 crossover.
...talk to talk and listen to listen no worky...

(There's the jack size difference too... parallel size to regular serial.)

>> what's a good vendor for these things? mail is fine but I don't mind
>> walking in the city to get it...
>CompUSA has them.

I checked a few office supply shops, they had big little, but no little little
(sorry guys I don't know the name of those jacks) so I'm starting to wonder how
specialized this thing is.

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org