[nycbug-talk] RAID anyone?

Dan Langille dan
Fri Dec 10 11:20:03 EST 2004

On 10 Dec 2004 at 10:54, Sunny Dubey wrote:

> On Friday 10 December 2004 09:31, Dan Langille wrote:
> > This came out yesterday.  It's how I got my development box (the on
> > that houses the beta sites for FreshPorts, FreeBSDDiary, FreshSource,
> > etc):
> >
> >    http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a//bsd/2004/12/09/raid.html
> >
> > :)
>
> It should be noted that the 7000-series cards require the 3dmd
> monitoring/management software.
>
> Yes, the card is a hardware RAID card, but the 7000-series has no way of
> physically telling the user that something has failed.  Instead it sends out
> emails warning folks about a failure.

It should also be noted that the article is not about the 7000-
series.  It's about the Adaptec 2400A.

> IIRC this software is not released for BSD.  Instead, BSD prints messages to
> dmesg when a failure as occured.  So I'm sure you could write a parser and
> stuff.

The follow up article, out next month, is how to write a plug-in
monitor for the RAID card.

> These cards are very much bang-for-your buck, and they are 3ware cards.  Just
> keep the above in mind.

Noted.  Thanks.  I use the 3-ware cards on a Windows box and another
FreeBSD box.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - The Technical BSD Conference - http://www.bsdcan.org/