[nycbug-talk] encrypt home space

michael lists
Fri Dec 10 12:17:08 EST 2004

Talk,

I wanted to create an encrypted home and swap space on my laptop.  In
case it is ever lifted... you know.   I have FreeBSD on my laptop.

I started by revisiting Roland Dowdeswell: NetBSD crypto disk.
http://nycbug.org/index.php?NAV=Home&SUBM=20

I found cfs in ports:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/security/cfs/pkg-descr

then checked Dan's diary and found an article from
many years ago: http://www.freebsddiary.org/encrypted-fs.php

There is also an article for little usb thumb drives:
http://bsdnews.org/03/cryptusb.php

The Handbook has a chapter on gbde:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/disks-encrypting.html
"Unlike cumbersome encryption methods that encrypt only individual
files, gbde transparently encrypts entire file systems. No cleartext
ever touches the hard drive's platter."

I really liked Roland's talk.  I may be wrong but, cgd seems NetBSD
specific. Because of that, I'm leaning toward gbde. Has anyone tried
something similar to what I'm talking about?

Michael

--
---