[nycbug-talk] the case for a BSD Certification

Okan Demirmen okan
Sat Dec 18 12:24:20 EST 2004

On Sat 2004.12.18 at 11:53 -0500, G. Rosamond wrote:

> On Dec 18, 2004, at 9:04 AM, Dru wrote:
>

> >On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, G. Rosamond wrote:
> >
> ><snip>
> >
> >>Majority of network appliances?  Woah.  I can name a lot (Borderware
> >>fw, CheckPoint Nokia, some Snap servers), but majority?  That would
> >>be significant.
> >

> >Just as a point of interest, Checkpoint Nokia is transitioning their
> >appliances from an ancient version of FreeBSD to RedHat. Guess what
> >two of the reasons cited for the switch were? RedHat provides both
> >support and an educational certification.
>
> My first point was I don't think they are the majority of appliances
> are a BSD.
>
> Checkpoint moving to RedHat.  It actually makes sense.  Support and
> development are strong.  Despite the ire they receive from sections of
> the open source movement.

I believe Checkpoint is pushing Nokia them off BSD to linux.
Checkpoint has been hurt recently by Nokia's lack of parrallel
direction, when it comes to supporting Checkpoint. It's odd that
Nokia's direction doesn't match Checkpoint's, but who knows why.
Checkpoint is so desparate that they are starting to build their
own boxes (funny that we may actually see a 48-way xeon box in our
lab soon from Checkpoint;) but this is way off topic now.

okan

> ><snip again>
> >

> >>I'll setup a list later, but I think it would be a good idea to get
> >>the wiki up somewhere first. .. with passwd protection for editing
> >>rights.
> >

> >Does anyone have any experience with twiki (twiki.org)? From the
> >description it sounds pretty good...
> >

> It's the way. . . we need a box for it at this point. . .

Okan Demirmen <okan at demirmen.com>
PGP-Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB3670934
PGP-Fingerprint: 226D B4AE 78A9 7F4E CD2B 1B44 C281 AF18 B367 0934