[nycbug-talk] Mac OSX Troubleshooting tools

Isaac Levy ike
Sat Dec 18 13:36:23 EST 2004

Wordup Pete, Megan, Crew,

On Dec 18, 2004, at 12:50 AM, Pete Wright wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 12:26:58AM -0500, Megan Restuccia wrote:
>> Does anyone have a link to a good program for Mac OSX that will allow
>> me to test max data throughput disk I/O read, writes, network and
>> RAID caching performance (on varied size files - I have the inputs).
>> I've been using pathrate, pathload, (dbench/tiobench - don't remember
>> if these compiled on Mac) and various built-in tools and wanted to
>> know what others used and good/bad points.
>>
> I don't know of any single app or utility that I would suggest to
> test/monitor Disk I/O.  The one utility that I do use frequently to
> monitor disk I/O and other activity is iostat (8).

iostat(8) is in Darwin/OSX, but after just popping it up here, it seems
to be barfing a bit:

ikebook:/Users/ike ike$ iostat
iostat: sysctl(kern.tty_nin) failed: No such file or directory
iostat: disabling TTY statistics
           disk0       cpu
   KB/t tps  MB/s  us sy id
   9.76   1  0.01  13  6 81

--
Could be me- will investigate eventually...

On Dec 18, 2004, at 1:09 AM, O_Sleep wrote
> iozone is a throughput benchmark tool that does a pretty thorough job.
>
> http://www.iozone.org/
>
> -Bjorn

WOAH- Cool.  I want to try this thing...