[nycbug-talk] Important about finances of FBSD

Bob Ippolito bob
Tue Dec 21 17:43:05 EST 2004

On Dec 21, 2004, at 5:21 PM, Marc Spitzer wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 16:56:01 -0500, George Georgalis
> <george at galis.org> wrote:
>
>> And I was all excited about putting in my 2 cents! But indeed it
>> seems all that matters is $30,000 is raised by entities none of which
>> making more than an $8,000 donation. number of donors doesn't seem to
>> matter which is probably a broken rule of the irs, the org status is
>> in jeopardy because of a few big spenders.... I wonder how much pull
>> 25,000 one dollar separate donations would make? I bet a lot if it
>> made
>> it to court, so I suggest we submit our receipts to nycbug for
>> accounting
>> props and send donations independently.
>
> Why can't people give whatever they think is fair and be done with it?
>  Why does this have to be turned into a telethon?  We all have the
> links needed to donate so why not leave it at that.

Well, they should've brought this up sooner, cause raising 30k in less
than two weeks almost requires a sort of telethon to get the
information out to the right number of people.

Even if they don't make it, I'm sure they would win the appeal.  The
real problem is just that the appeal process is probably a pain in the
ass and will incur a lot of lawyer fees.  Given their financial
statement, they can certainly afford this, but the money is better
spent on FreeBSD.

-bob