[nycbug-talk] OT: Satellite radio

Jonathan Hirschman jhlists
Thu Dec 30 14:29:57 EST 2004

Francisco Reyes wrote:
> Anyone has tried satellite radio?
> I am curious in particular how it would work inside a building away from
> the windows. :-)
>
> At the desk I am at my cell barely has a signal. :-(

My GF works for XM Radio. I'm becoming a big fan, although I haven't
heard Sirius yet. I'm told that Sirius has better music for what I
listen to.

It needs a window for the antenna. Note that you can some VERY long
antenna cables, and they're small. You might be able to run one from
your desk to a window. Better OUT the window.

Note that both companies have many, many terrestrial ground "repeaters"
(it is arguable whether either is truly satellite radio, but that's a
different story). You may find that one works better in a given location
than the other.

Also, this may be helpful: XM has the MyFi. It is a "walkman" style sat
radio reciever with Tivo-like functionality - it has a 5 hour record
buffer. Seems every employee got one w/ lifetime sub under the tree this
year from Big Santa XM. It'll be mine today, bwah hah hah :) Not sure
that I want it tho... we'll see.

JH