[nycbug-talk] XFS support in FreeBSD

Paul Dlug paul
Mon Feb 2 20:59:42 EST 2004

There's JFS for FreeBSD, the development site was at:

http://jfs4bsd.sourceforge.net/

But according to the page it's been moved into the FreeBSD project
itself, though I can't find a reference to that. It's somewhat similar
to XFS. I'm not sure what benefits XFS/JFS would have to
UFS2+softupdates other than providing another choice. I'm sure
softupdates aren't ideal in all cases so XFS may fill some niche areas
or at least pacify the linux advocates who state "but *BSD doesn't even
have a journalling filesystem." The journaled filesystem vs.
softupdates debate is taking place at the DragonFly BSD project right
now, though it looks like they're leaning toward journalling for
simplified development and debugging.

--Paul