[nycbug-talk] CFSG: The Community Free Software Group

Marco Scoffier marco
Tue Feb 3 15:47:51 EST 2004

Hello and greetings to the New York City Free and Open Source Software
communities, technology special interest groups, and friends.  We are
pleased to announce the formation of the Community Free Software Group,
a not-for-profit organization dedicated to serving individuals, groups
and communities through Free Software education and implementation.

CFSG was created to address the lack of Free Software-based education
programs available to community technology centers and non-profit
organizations.  Existing programs are almost exclusively offered by
proprietary, non-free software companies in exchange for tax credits,
publicity, and gaining mind-share.  By creating programs based on Free
Software tools and technologies CFSG will advocate by example,
increasing awareness and empowering people.

CFSG brings Free Software to people and the organizations that serve
them.  Free Software is the tool of choice for serving those who want to
learn, providing real technology education, ownership and freedom.  We
create programs that illustrate these benefits.

As an example of our mission, CFSG is pleased to announce our new
project:

"The PC Garage -- restoring, customizing and tuning your PC with Free
Software." http://cfsg.org/programs/aafe.html

A collaboration with Asian Americans for Equality http://aafe.org/ and
the Three Jewels Outreach Center http://www.threejewels.org/ , "The PC
Garage" is a twelve-week workshop designed to teach kids (ages 13-18)
about computer hardware and Free Software by rebuilding donated machines
and installing the GNU/Linux operating system.  The course will be
hosted by Asian Americans for Equality in their new community technology
center at 111 Norfolk Street, New York.

CFSG is looking for people interested in bringing Free Software to
communities.  For more information about CFSG and to find out how to
participate, visit the Community Free Software Group at http://cfsg.org/
or contact us at info-AT-cfsg.org.

Thank you for your time and attention.

--