[nycbug-talk] irc server

Ray ray
Sun Feb 8 03:55:22 EST 2004

On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 08:29:54PM -0500, Mikel King wrote:
> Well my thought process for having our own 'private' server, is that it
> would most likely be used for it's intended pupose, and not to discuss
> the latest Stargate episode or some other such thing.

That's what ops are for.

> The only other reason is; that it's being provided freely for
> us to use.

So are just about all IRC networks.

> Besides what's the fun in just using some one else's box...;-)

1. Free bandwidth.
2. No administration worries (DDOSes, crackers, etc.)
3. No need to get on yet another IRC network if we are already on
   one (some are regularly on efnet, undernet, etc.)
4. More servers on existing networks.
5. No need to add our IRC network to IRC clients.

-Ray-