[nycbug-talk] 5.1 -> 5.2 upgrade

Scott Robbins scottro
Sun Feb 8 15:19:31 EST 2004

I did a few test upgrades of 5.1 to 5.2 without any problems.

Then, when I did it on a couple of boxes that I actually use, it died
during installworld

Doing some googling indicated that there are some library compatibility
issues, however, the problem seems infrequent--that is, on forums and on
google I found a few instances of the same problem, but no one seemed to
have a certain solution.

I have one totally non-critical server at work where I'm planning to do
it again.  :)  Although, if worst comes to worst and I have to
reinstall, it's not a problem, I'm just wondering if anyone has run into
this and come up with a solution. The only thing I've found mentioned
that I hadn't done was before doing buildworld do make make.

Anyone run into this, and if so, any ideas why it sometimes works and
sometimes hasn't?  The other things I've found mentioned as
possibilities didn't apply--I have COMPAT enabled in the kernel, I do
buildworld then build and install kernel, reboot in single user mode and
do mergemaster -p before doing make installworld.

Thanks for any answers.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Willow: So, how did it go?
Xander: On a scale from one to ten? It sucked.