[nycbug-talk] wlan question. . .

Marc Spitzer mspitze1
Wed Feb 18 01:19:26 EST 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 00:13:48 -0500
"G. Rosamond" <george at sddi.net> wrote:

> i may be working out a deal with a local computer store to provide
> wireless access in our neighborhood.
>
> we'll setup two access points, and look to restrict access by mac
> address (yeah, yeah, i know it's spoofable).
>
> while i have truly fallen in love with the apple airport (wpa with or
> without radius, closed networks, so easy to configure yet so
> sophisticated), i may just look to use bsd access points.  i've read
> through enough of the documentation and don't believe it would be too
> monumental a task. . .

have you considdered buying a bridge(seperate device) for each point
and connecting them to the computer via ethernet?

they have some advantages:

1: ethernet is simpler to deal with then wifi.
2: they generally put out more power then wifi cards.
3: support becomes a lot simpler
4: easier to move around

I do not think there is a big cost difference between card and
bridge.

marc

ps this is my second reply to this post, if I do not see the
first reply in the morning I will repost.

marc