[nycbug-talk] RE: Close port 110

Marc Spitzer mspitze1
Wed Feb 18 13:17:59 EST 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 12:43:55 -0500
Matthew Lam <chun_lam at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry all:
> 	Didn't think hitting reply will cause that much damage.
>
> OS: FreeBSD 4.9 now  just installed
>
> Right after install.  I checked port 110 by "telnet localhost 110"
> the following message appear just like FreeBSD 5.0
>
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
>
> but on port 25 I get this...
>
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 smtp.software-authors.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.9p2/8.12.9; Wed, 18
> Feb 2004 12:45:34 -0500 (EST)
> quit
> 221 2.0.0 smtp.software-authors.com closing connection
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> I cannot figure this out.
>
> Can someone who get FreeBSD 4.9 and up and port 110 working send me an
> installation steps that they use?

goto /usr/ports/mail/qpopper and type "make all install clean"

and you will have installed a pop deamon unless you get an error
message,
if there is an error please post it, and reboot( type 'init 6' as root).
Before reboot do the following:
*****
To enable the qpopper-daemon, add the following line to your
/etc/inetd.conf:

   pop3 stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/libexec/qpopper qpopper -s
*****

The simple answere is freebsd does not come with pop or imap access
installed
in the base system but it does come with smtp in the base system.

more details can be had in the docs:
man qpopper
and
xpdf /usr/local/share/qpoper/GUIDE.pdf