[nycbug-talk] new. . .ibooks. . .

Scott Robbins scottro
Wed Feb 18 20:09:47 EST 2004

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 07:24:22PM -0500, michael wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:38:25 -0500
> "G. Rosamond" <george at sddi.net> wrote:
>

> I'm curious too.  I looked into a new ibook a few weeks back. Yes, it
> looks vvveeerrryyyy cool, but, that price tag seems high.  Start with
> a base 12'' and add some memory, a little more drive, AirPort Extreme
> Card (who could resist that name), an extra battery and BAM !! you are
> over $1,500.  Dunno, maybe I don't fully comprehend the market
> now-a-days or I'm just a cheapskate.

The general consensus ~seems~ to be that it's about the equivalent of
multiplying the processor by 1.25 or so, so an 800 should be about the
equivalent of a 1 gig Pentium.  (More or less).

My impression of the one that my wife has is (850 and 352 megs of RAM or
something like that) is that it's about the same as a mid range Toshiba
Celeron 1 gig with 512 megs of RAM.  (VERY subjective)

Since upgrading to OS X.2 the cheap Epson USB printer doesn't work.

Sigh.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Xander: So, we Bronzin' it tonight?
Willow: Wednesdays, kinda beat...
Xander: Well, we could grind our enemies into talcum powder with
a sledgehammer, but, gosh, we did that last night.