[nycbug-talk] list protocol. . .

Mikel King mikel.king
Sat Feb 21 14:26:02 EST 2004

Ray wrote:

>On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 09:05:45AM -0500, G. Rosamond wrote:
>

>>that's funny in some ways, but the reality is that no one should panic
>>about inquiring about "stupid questions" on this list.
>>

>People should also learn to do research on their own.  OpenBSD's
>reputed harshness has its educational value too. =)

One of our goals and a common theme that seemed to attract many of the
Linux people that I talked to at the show was that we are not going to
allow the rtfm mentality that presently permeates most of the lists.
Everyone get's stuck and people new to BSD let alone UNIX tend to get
stuck more often. One of  Sloth's present arguments is that there isn't
any support for joe business user out there.

The argument that I have heard more times than I care to recount is that
if JBU can't figure it out then he isn't BSD material anyway, let him go
try one of those big linux distros, or better yet let him go back to
redmond.

If we some one drops BSD because we didn't help them by pointing them to
the correct reference and answering their question in a friendly polite
manner then we are not really living up to the NYCBUG name.

--
Cheers,
Mikel King