[nycbug-talk] pkg_info

Marc Spitzer mspitze1
Mon Feb 23 18:15:56 EST 2004

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:50:07 -0500
jc <jesse at theholymountain.com> wrote:

> I'm not in love with myself or anything, but I like to check my
> packages every once in a while. I was doing some stuff [which I'd
> probably have never ventured to do w/o the help of freebsddiary.org]
> and needed to get the installed packages without the descriptions. I
> made a perl script which would s/^ +$//. It was a little more than a
> one-liner, but I had to... let me be explicit:
>

> open PKG, "pkg_info |";
> while (<PKG>) {
>     s/^ +$//;   # theres a space between ^ +
>     print;
> }

man awk.

ie

pkg_info |awk '{print $1}'

assumes pkg_info output looks like this:

xview-3.2.1_2       X Window-System-based Visual/Integrated Environment
for Wor
yencode-0.46_1      A free (GPL) encoder and decoder for the yEnc Usenet
file f

marc

ps cut would also work, but only on the first field, hint man cut