[nycbug-talk] Newbie mailman from ports

Marc Spitzer mspitze1
Sat Jan 17 12:37:06 EST 2004

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 12:08:37 -0500
Marco Scoffier <marco at metm.org> wrote:

> This new group corresponds perfectly with my first attempt to install FreeBSD ;)
>
> The box will be a server for a non-profit.  Things went pretty smoothly,
> I managed to upgrade the 4.8 system I had off a CD to the current 4.9
> using "make world" and I rebuilt the kernel.  I got the /usr/ports
> directory using cvsup.  I have been installing the necessary programs
> through ports.  I have successfully installed postgres, apache+ssl but
> am having problems with mailman.

for the system don't use 'make world', I do not know if it still works correctly.  Use the handbook approved way:
make buildworld
make buildkernel (if kernel not generic add: KERNCONF=FILENAME, no pathinfo needed)
make installkernel as above
reboot and watch for wierd shit, if none continue to
make installworld
mergemaster, between 4.8 and 4.9 there were config file changes and the need to be synced with the files that exist
if you see wierd shit mv /kernel.old to /kernel and /modules.old to /modules and reboot, this should put you back where you were.

1: install /usr/ports/net/cvsup
and type make update in /usr/ports to update your tree

add the following to /etc/make.conf to get cvsup working:
#
SUP_UPDATE=     yes
#
SUP=            /usr/local/bin/cvsup
SUPFLAGS=       -g -L 2 -b /usr/share/examples/cvsup/
SUPHOST=        cvsup.uk.FreeBSD.org
SUPFILE=        /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile
PORTSSUPFILE=   /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile
DOCSUPFILE=     /usr/share/examples/cvsup/doc-supfile

2: cd /usr/ports
   make update

3: install /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade

4:   type portsdb -Uu

5: type pkgdb -F , you may not need this but it wont hurt

6: type portinstall -R portname

marc

ps make update will also work in /usr/src now

marc