[nycbug-talk] bsdcan, can you get to it?

Dan Langille dan
Sat Jan 24 21:55:55 EST 2004

On 24 Jan 2004 at 21:51, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, Dan Langille wrote:
>
> > Well, that's interesting.  Try again.  I know the primary DNS server
> > is down, but that shouldn't be stopping you totally.  It should just
> > take a while.
>

> Just tried again.
> Same result for both bsdcan.org and www.bsdcan.org.
> My isp uses ns1.acecape.com as their DNS.
>
> Just for the heck of it also tried the DNS server from another
> company I use.. zoneedit. In particular I tried ns1.zoneedit.org

I suggest that your ISPs DNS is messed up.  If someone can prove
otherwise, please let me know.

The name servers, as found in whois bsdcan.org, are:

Name Server:NEZLOK.UNIXATHOME.ORG
Name Server:M20.UNIXATHOME.ORG

I know for sure that m20.unixathome.org is offline.  Which leaves
nezlok up and running.

$ dig @nezlok.unixathome.org www.bsdcan.org

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> @nezlok.unixathome.org www.bsdcan.org
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL:
2
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      www.bsdcan.org, type = A, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.bsdcan.org.         3D IN A         66.154.97.250

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
bsdcan.org.             3D IN NS        m20.unixathome.org.
bsdcan.org.             3D IN NS        nezlok.unixathome.org.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
m20.unixathome.org.     3D IN A         66.11.169.50
nezlok.unixathome.org.  3D IN A         66.154.97.250

;; Total query time: 36 msec
;; FROM: toxic.magnesium.net to SERVER: nezlok.unixathome.org
66.154.97.250
;; WHEN: Sat Jan 24 18:54:43 2004
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 32  rcvd: 130

That looks right to me.